I’ve been away for most of the month, so I’ve not been able to attend to the bees as often as I would wish to.
I was ready to give up and consider the supercedure colony as lost. When I asked a more experienced beekeeper if I should just shake the bees into my other colonies, I was told to be patient and that it’s not too late.
I am very glad I listened to their advice because when I inspected the same colony in early September, the bees were calm as anything, and I could see eggs and uncapped brood! This is going to be a very small colony heading into winter, but I’m going to try to overwinter them in a poly nuc.
The other colonies are looking strong and I’m hoping they’ll do well over winter.
I’ve received approval from the allotment association to move my apiary site out of the weeds and onto the orchard, beside some hedges. So this winter, one of my projects will be to get this done. It will be much better for my bees and for me. It’s a tad annoying after all the work I did to prepare my original site in the first place, but I really do need to move the apiary.